Tuesday, September 18, 2012

From Everyday Jane To Type 2 Diabetic To (hopefully) Everyday Jane Again!

First, an overview:
 
I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I had steadily gained weight after the birth of my daughter in 2005, and my weight crept up from pre-pregnancy 165/170 to an unhealthy 242 pounds as of 7/15/2012. Very scary. I felt tired all the time, sick, numerous aches and pains struck on a daily basis and my feet and knee joints have taken the worst hit.
 
But...My doctor, Jonathan Fish MD, and well-known doctor Neal Barnhard MD have both profoundly changed - and saved - my life.
 
In July, Dr. Fish had me give up animal proteins (meat, seafood, milk, eggs, cheese...ALL dairy, meats and related animal-based products) and cut out ALL cooking oils and extra oils in my foods, all whole nuts and nut butters, and all refined sugars and processed foods   (hence, the term: Modified Vegan - as Vegans use oils to cook with and can consume nuts and refined sugars, but I can not.) ... Since then, my numbers have dropped, and continue to do so slowly and healthfully - and the best part in addition to this: my weight is also disappearing slowly and steadily - the healthy way to lose weight.
 
Instead of pills and shots, Dr. Fish gave me a title on a prescription paper for "Program for Reversing Diabetes" by Dr. Neal Barnhard,  and told me to read it cover to cover and adopt its principles and guidelines before my next appointment a month later. This is a book that has changed my life and all preconceived notions of health and diet. It has scientifically-backed research and valid points and examples of what the Western Diet, and it's huge consumption of meats, dairy and other unhealthy additions (processed foods, refined sugars, etc...) has done to this country and it's residents.
 
Since consuming all the knowledge this book had to offer, I have bought his cookbook and other related books by supporting authors and physicians and other informative materials that support this way of living. This IS NOT a "diet", this is a way of life!
 
I feel great, I'm losing weight slowly and steadily WITHOUT insanely crazy workouts, AND...many aches, pains and discomforts are quickly DISAPPEARING. My hair, nails and skin have all improved and I would swear my eyesight is changing a tiny amount as well. I have always worn contacts and in the last week those and my glasses are a little fuzzy. When I went to have my eyes rechecked today, my optometrist suprisingly said that my vision had improved a tiny bit since last April.
 
I was shocked....since a child, my eyesight has worsened every few years...until now. "Wow", as all I could say to her.
 
As of September 18th, 2012 I have being doing this for 8 weeks now. I go in on October 19th for another check on my A1C, blood glucose levels, cholesterol, blood pressure and heart disease issues. I have been monitoring my blood pressure and it has gone down and hovered around 118-135 over 65-75...much better than the constant 160-190 over 90-110!
 
And I have done this WITHOUT prescribed medications, insulin injections and daily glucose checks. Once my doctor and I have determined that this is effectively combating and reversing my condition, there will be no medications, injections, or daily glucose checks because my body is repairing itself naturally, the way it was meant to, partly because I made the change immediately before it was too late.
 
It is important to note: when shifting to this lifestyle, you have to fully commit. The first week is the hardest - cravings, mood changes and withdrawal symptoms that rival a drug addict coming off drugs abound, but these don't last forever - and the result is profound and eye-opening, as well as absolutely exciting.
 
My energy level had risen greatly, as has my self-esteem! I HIGHLY recommend to everyone to read this book! It is so much more than a program for diabetics, it's for EVERYONE who wants to live a healthier life!
 

I'm also including images of other items of interest that are both eye-opening AND highly informative!

 

Another item that references our Western Diet and all our diseases, and uses Barnhard's views and research, as well as two other doctor's research, is "Forks Over Knives", a documentary NOT to miss!