Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Being Vegan In a Non-Vegan Household Is a HUGE Challenge!

My daughter and I recently moved to Oregon for my husband's new job after retiring out of the Navy. He's been in Oregon for the last 6 months while we finished up obligations at our old address in Washington state. So for those 6 months I did perfectly fine on my road of Vegan eating.
Well, not so much now that we are all settled back together in our new house...
I can see being vegan around here is going to become a challenge now that we're all back under one roof.
One out of three people in a household willing to consume vegan food could spell disaster for me if this was not a mandatory thing for the rest of my life - even when the other two have said they are more than willing to try the recipes I have to follow.
Yet I hear, "don't force this stuff on me" at any given time... wth?. Ugh! So aggravating!
I even hear this about non-vegan HEALTHY food no less!! Mainly because it doesn't taste all sweet, salty, greasy and all the other things that make processed unhealthy food taste so good to people.
But I am holding firm: I am not a restaurant, nor am I going to cook three different meals each time I cook.
I do compensate by making things I think they will like, I think about them when I figure out what to make, and give them cheese on their burgers, and they have dairy products when they want them. So I am not "forcing" this eating lifestyle on them!
But if they want to dump on me about what I cook and be negative, then I have no choice but to get angry...what do they expect? No one likes to hear people be so negative about something they HAVE to now do for their health!
If they want to have other stuff, fine. No Problem. But they are going to have to find it elsewhere or cook it themselves! I have better things to do with my time than spend it for hours in a kitchen catering to each person's wants for meals!